Sunday, July 13, 2008

English Summer Camp in Poland

I arrived in Poland on Sunday not really knowing what to expect or what I would be doing. All of the volunteers thought they would be in Krakow teaching English during the day, but instead we arrive to find that we are a half an hour outside of Krakow in a village called Piekary. There are high school students from all over Poland who are coming to study English. It was a surprise that we were at a place where the students stay overnight and I don't get much free time with having to teach and plan lessons and to do activities and trips with the students. Poland is quite beautiful though and the village I am in is quite amusing. There is mainly just houses and then two convenient stores. One is called mini sam and the other is super sam, apparantly sam in Poland means self service. Aside from that about a mile down the road is a "discoteque/ kebab" shop. On the outside it looks like it will be a run down place, but on the inside is a disco ball and dark lighting and it looks like it should be in New York City or something. Except no one is ever in there except for us, but they do sell a whole plate of fries for a dollar, which is good because Polish dinners consist of mainly just bread, cheese, butter and jam.

Today I will be going to Auschwitz, which is a couple of hours from here, which should be impressive to see, but also quite depressing. I will write more about this absolutely ridiculous experience later!

2 comments:

NPS said...

Kelly,

One thing I have learned, especially in northern Europe is that the falafel kebap is amazing. That is, if you get tired of pirogies.

Kelly said...

I have also heard that the falafel is really good here, I will have to get some. How is your trip to Europe?